Our History

The History of Our Church

  • Approximately 1945 – 1946 Reverend W. H. Day, a retired minister, held the first gathering of the Cordova Bay United church at his home.
  • The first church building was opened in October 1952, with a seating capacity for about 90 people.
  • The church was located at 5166 Cordova Bay Road.
  • A minister was called who shared the two point pastoral charge of Cordova Bay and Gordon Head. Substantial co-operation with a nearby Anglican church took place.
  • As the Cordova Bay community grew, a full-time minister was hired in the mid-1970’s.
  • An attractive property at 813 Claremont Avenue was purchased on the top of the hill rising from Cordova Bay.
  • In 1988 a beautiful new church was opened, with a seating capacity of about 250 persons.
  • The membership of the church was 37 in 1952. In 1954 there were 40 members. Presently there are 250 families who attend Cordova Bay United Church.
  • After 20 plus years at this location, we still believe we stand at the threshold of an exciting future as we dare to live as God would have us live.

The Ministers of Cordova Bay United Church:

  • Reverend W. H. Day – before Church built, but took part many times after the Church was opened.
  • Reverend A. M. Angus – October 5th, 1952
  • Reverend Charles Rogers – 1953
  • Reverend M. W. Lees – 1957
  • Reverend H. P. Davidson – 1958
  • Stuart P. Coutts – 1960
  • Reverend J. M. Alexander – 1961
  • Reverend Les Wallwork – 1966
  • Reverend Franck G. Patterson – 1969
  • Reverend Frank Baldock – 1977
  • Reverend Clare Holmes – (Interim) 1979, part of 1980
  • Reverend Wilfred Waddell – 1980 – 1988
  • Reverend Allister Skinner 1988 – 1999
  • Reverend Larry W. Scott 1999 – 2005
  • Reverend Anna Constantin 2003 – August 2007
  • Reverend Gordon Cann 2004 – 2006 (Retired Supply)
  • Reverend William Cantelon 2006 – present
  • Beth Walker Designated Lay Minister/Student Supply 2008 – 2012
  • Nancy Walker Designated Lay Minister 2014 – present